About Me

My photo
5 o'clock shadow enthusiast. mmm, beer. wordsmith.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Is Auschwitz Still Subleasing?

Since when has it become cool to raise awareness about something you only care about when it's fashionable? There have been quite a few instances of selective awareness raising in recent times, so in true Beth fashion, I plan to take the piss out of each of them and raise awareness about not raising awareness:

1)Haiti. All I have to write is the one word, and everyone already knows what I mean. I'm not denying the fact that the earthquake and following “relief” effort that took place was horrible. The earthquakes in Haiti were devastating, as we all well know. BUT, what the fuck, Hollywood? Really? Why do we need another “We Are The World”? Most of the people involved are talentless hacks, whose genetic currency, I'm sure of it, must be at near zero. Assholes.

2)LIVESTRONG. Is this where it all began for our generation of pretend do-gooders? That stupid yellow bracelet? Do any of you even know what it's meant to represent, or are you wearing it (assuming people are still wearing them these days – it's been a few years since it was “cool”) because you saw a celebrity wearing it? Assholes.

3)Pink. Blue. Black. You guys remember that stupid breast cancer awareness campaign that was thrust into our faces on Facebook, don't you? My status feed was completely inundated with my chick friends' bra colors. What exactly did that accomplish aside from (once the guys figured it out) your guy friends imagining you shirtless in said bra? Assholes.

4)The COEXIST bumper stickers. Someone I work with has one of these pieces of shit. You guys do realize that religion has been around for thousands of years, and if these groups of people thought the other groups had nice ideas, they would have discussed them with each other already? The only thing this bumper sticker makes me aware of is your complete lack of knowledge on culture. Assholes. Sidenote: Stop calling religion “organized religion.” All religion is organized. It's a group of people organizing together with a set of core beliefs. You sound like an idiot.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that if you truly support and are behind a cause, then support it. Chances are the people around you have heard of this cause before. If it didn't strike their fancy the first time around, I bet you a COEXIST bumper sticker that it doesn't when you “raise awareness” for it. Please stop “supporting” causes you know nothing about to seem in-the-know. Instead, why not buy yourself a bumper sticker that reads, “I support fashionable causes to help me get laid.”

I actually do actively support a few causes, and it pisses me off when people pretend to without really caring about the impact. I've been a breast cancer cure supporter for most of my adult life. Breast cancer runs on both sides of my family, and I've actually had a few friends diagnosed with it. I've had a pink ribbon I juggle around on my jackets that I've had since about 2004. Wearing this little pink ribbon is the most outspoken I've been about any organization I support. But, Beth? You mean you wear that pink ribbon when it's not breast cancer awareness month? Yes, assholes. I'd rather donate my time and money silently than have recognition for something I think we should all do: support research for causes that affect people we know and love. I wish I didn't have such a Hitleresque disdain for the fashionable cause supporters, but I really would like to wall them all off and force sterilization. Assholes.

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! FINALLY! But you forgot the whole fuckin week of RED RIBBON for kids to D.A.R.E. to not be on drugs.......and also the wonderful W.W.J.D. bracelets. That was the original its fashionable to be down the my main man Jesus despite being a complete wretch of a person. Its okay i can be a bitch because im down with jesus attitude...gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar rant regarding this about a week ago, but it was a little different. I don't quite understand the verbage in Breast Cancer "Awareness". Like, someone will put on facebook, "Please dontate to (insert name of fundraiser) to raise breast cancer awareness". WTF? Are you serious? I am pretty sure everyone is "aware" of what breast cancer is. Why couldn't they say "Pleae help us raise money to support a cure for breast cancer". But, when you say you want to raise money for "awareness", it really doesnt mean anything.

    ReplyDelete